Friday, January 28, 2011

PERFECT WINTER BEEF STEW

These cold, snowy evenings have been calling for some one-pot, warm the insides meals. One of my sisters-in-law had a knee replacement before Thanksgiving and when I called to see how she was doing, she told me they were getting ready to eat this GREAT Beef Stew that she had directed her "man servent" (my brother) to make. It sounded really delicious and I knew if Jean said it was good, it was good!!

The next morning there was the recipe in my "inbox". Thank you Don.

Yesterday was the day for "Perfect Winter Beef Stew". It was sooooooo good and I thought some of you might like to try it also. I had planned to do a tutorial but just didn't have the strength to do the cooking and pictures too.

PERFECT WINTER BEEF STEW

3/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
2 lbs. beef (stew beef or chuck roast, cut into 1" chunks)
6 slices bacon, chopped
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onions (about 1 large)
3 cups sliced carrots (6 medioum)
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks (4 cups)
2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans beef broth (a 32 oz. carton of broth will not be too much liquid)

Pour dressing over meat in large re-sealable plastic bag. Seal bag; turn to evenly coat meat with dressing. Refrigerate minimum of 30 miutes to marinate.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in large saucepan (large Dutch oven works best) on medium heat 5 min. or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from saucepan; drain drippings.

Add mushrooms and onions to same saucepan; cook on medium-heat 10 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove meat from maridade; discard marinade. Add meat, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, broth and bacon to saucepan; stir.

Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for~2 hrs. (3 hrs. in oven at 300 degrees) or until meat is cooked through and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.

We served our stew with a crusty Tuscan Herb Bread. OH SO GOOD!! I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much we did.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi, thank you for coming by my blog and entering my OWOH giveaway. I hope you will be back, and that you enjoy the rest of the event! Mm, this recipe sounds lovely!