Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Congratulations Lauren and Mother's Devils Food Cake

We are so proud of you Lauren for coming in second place in the
200 Individual Freestyle swimming event. You came off that
starting block like a pro. Good job:) You are turning into such a beautiful young lady. We are so fortunate to have such sweet granddaughters, five of them, and everyone loved just as much as the other.








Many years ago, my mother made a Devils Food cake for her father because he LOVED chocolate cake so much. It was a really moist cake and he asked her what make it so good. She made the mistake of telling him it was "Miracle Whip". When asked if he wanted another piece he declined, and in fact, did not eat any more of the cake. She waited a long time before she made another Devils Food Cake (Miracle Whip Cake), when he didn't ask, she didn't tell. The moral of this story is to keep those secret ingredients, secret.



Devils Food Cake
Sift together then blend:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a mixing bowl, beat together:
1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add in the dry ingredients, mixing well.
Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees
These were the instructions written on my recipe card from many years ago. I'm positive you need to grease and flour your pan(s) but I don't know what size. I would think a 9x13. I sure would love a piece of this "moist" cake right now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to try the cake sometime. LOVE the photo of granddad!!!! I remember that room.

Tina said...

Meshiel, I remember that room, too! I agree with you, it was great to see the pic of Grandad. However, I have to say, I would tend to fall into Grandad's camp on the Miracle Whip cake. :) Aunt Shirley, maybe you'll have to sneak it into a family reunion buffet and not tell us, so that I can give it a fair try. I'm not a big Miracle Whip fan!

grammy and papi said...

Have no fear Tina, you DO NOT taste Miricle Whip, it just makes the cake moist. I know what you mean though, a friend brought a Tomato Soup Cake to college and I just could not bring myself to taste it. She actually was rather offended, but I still couldn't even taste it. She said it was just a spice cake, but I didn't think tomato soup belonged in a cake. LOL Oh, the room was the back porch. I don't remember ever seeing that picture until I found it when I was looking for a picture of Grandma and Grandad together for the blog.

grammy and papi said...

Amy sent an email with the following: Just to let you know, when I was in 5th grade, I won the Girl Scout cake baking contest for this very same cake!
Amy